How to Read a Book, Systematic Skimming
This is the second level of reading. By skimming the book, you get a great overview of what it is about. Later when you are actually reading the book, this will allow you to 'see the forest for the trees.'
- Look at the title page and, if the book has one, at is preface.
- Study the table of contents.
- Check out the index.
- Read the publishers blurb.
- Look at the chapters that seem to be pivotal to its arguments.
- Turn the pages, at a few random spots, and read a paragraph or two.
- Find other random spots, read several pages in sequence.
I was recommended this book by Mortimer Adler before I started university. It was one of the most useful books I have ever read. If you want to learn how to read at an advanced, academic level I would heartily endorse this book. Buy it today to learn how to improve your reading and analytical skills.
|< Prev||Next >|